Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Quaks don't just come from ducks

Quacks don't just come from ducks............ Evidently they come from clinics too. I went in for my scheduled appointment with a doctor that does hernia surgeries. I get his intern who asks lots of questions and attempts some sort of voodoo by trying to rip the hernia open with her bare hands so she could "feel the edges". After that they give me the once over and in comes the doctor. He introduces himself, and I thought he was just a little cold but ok I will just listen to what he says. The duck.... I mean doc looked at the computer screen and pointed to a number on the screen. He then turned to me and said do you know what this BMI number means? I responded yes high bad, low good. He got a little pissy and said you don't know then, it is a way of telling how obese you are. I let him lay out his stupid story of the different thresholds (most of which he couldn't even get right without a couple trys) and where I fell. He said I fell in 47 bmi and morbidly obese. Thinking to my self that I call BS but OK what will come next? He continued that he can do the surgery but does not like to because if  I don't loose weight I will just do it again. Insert eye roll and WHATEVER here! He then said I need professional help to lose the weight and wants me to go to a bariatric surgery meeting/seminar to learn about gastric bypass. I told him that I was losing weight until they told me to stop everything until I saw them. I said p90x was working and eating better. He had no idea what p90x was and got mouthy when I said I would work on it myself. He finally asked what p90x was and I explained it was an extreme work out to which he responded exercise won't do much for you. (what???) He said again I needed to go to the meeting and get the information besides do you know how many calories you burn in a 40 minute jog. I guessed about 300? He snapped back that it was only 2 apples worth of calories and that is not enough for me, exercise isn't the answer.

Evidently surgery was the answer to any problem for him so I told him I would pursue avenues of my own. They guy wouldn't give up! ( I later found out that Bariatric Surgery is how he makes his money) He kept on the bariatric "professional help" route and would I at least go see a dietitian he would recommend? I told him I would do it my self and see who I wanted and left. I will see one but it will be my own choice of person and on my own schedule. I don't need one  of his henchmen doing another round of pushing. I think the help on proper foods and portion control is good help.

Now I am a big boy, I won't argue that point with anyone. I know alot of this weight has also come on in the last year or two as well but it will be a process and will require help, that is where friends that know how can help but most of it falls on me! I will work on it myself but I do not need the easy way out, I am not that heavy and unable to do it for my self. So here is to a new era.

Oh ya and by the way Screw that guy.

PS> Cassie and I are walking out and I am biting my tongue and steaming. Cassie looks at me and says, "Wow was it just me or was he a pompous ass?" Thank you for always reading my mind babe! love ya!

I can and will do this! later

8 comments:

  1. WOW, that's fricken crazy! I would never categorize you morbidly obese. (chunky maybe) ;)

    I thought you had to be a certain amount overweight in order to even consider the bypass surgery.

    Good for you for doing your own thing and what's best for you! Stay strong, brothah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chad, I know I'm fluffy but I am working on it. Just time to redouble my efforts.

      Delete
  2. WOW, what a dick!!! Exercise certainly wont do it all but with good eating and P90X it certainly will work! I know you wont but please Don't do it. I can assure you it is more rewarding to do it on your own!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks richard, trust me that is not an option for me I think I can do it myself!

      Delete
  3. WOW - what an ass. I am a strong believer in Weight Watchers (it is how I've lost nearly 200 pounds) and exercise. I think that the combination of the two have taught me how to live like this forever rather than just provide a fast fix which would likely land me back in the same situation I was in before. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. If there is any help I can provide, lemme know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jen, wish I could afford somthing like weight watchers but I am trying some advocare 24day challenge that I sell and couch to 5k. I hope that gets me on the right path.

      Delete
  4. Jesse, How is the battle going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. slowly but surely was up at 5am doing couch to 5k. slowly getting back on the horse.

    ReplyDelete